Wednesday, August 17, 2011

from around the world...

When we first moved to Dubai three years ago, we just brought over our suitcases and a few other essentials, and left most of our furniture and bits and pieces in storage in Australia. Like most expats living over here, we are renting a unit in a high-rise apartment block, and at first it felt very cold and impersonal. A few frantic days of shopping meant that we had all the necessary furniture, but without all the personal items and extras, it didn't really feel like home.

My husband's job involves a lot of travel and sometimes I tag along too. Everywhere we go I seem to pick up a few items, some bought and some found, which are adding much needed colour and personality to our apartment and come with lots of happy memories. Here are a few of my treasures...

Colourful fabrics bought in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania - the place I met my husband almost 40 years ago! We went back for a visit last year and checked out all our old haunts. I hang a few favourite fabrics from a ladder in our entrance hall, and have made others into cushions, and the colours go perfectly with artworks from Clare's older children.


Beautiful handmade dolls from a walking trip we took to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. I just couldn't stop buying these from the little track-side stalls as each one had its own personality!


A book from my childhood, "Babies of the Woods" by Maria Tyrrell with sweet illustrations by Eileen A Soper. I particularly love these gorgeous birds and display the book open on a side table with a few different bird ornaments.


I seem to be amassing a collection of painted eggs which are arranged by colour throughout my unit (maybe the girls' get their colour obsessions from me?!) Blue has always been my favourite.


Probably the most obscure of my "treasures" - a very old copy of "a series of tables for ready reference for the timber and allied trade" that I discovered at a junk shop in the UK for a couple of pence. I don't really have a clue what it was for, but just love all the scribbled calculations in the back flyleaf.


I have always loved walking along beaches searching for shells and sea glass, and have a few displays around my apartment of my beach combing finds one the last few years, mainly from the shores of Oman.


What are your favourite treasures?

5 comments:

punkychewster said...

wow! i would love to visit Dubai. every place i visit i try to find fabric to hoard!

Thea said...

Thanks for sharing Sue. I can certainly see where the girls get their creativity from! x

the happy sparrow said...

Sue! I love seeing your treasures from your adventures around the world! Some of my favorite treasures are vintage suitcases I have been collecting...each one has a story and has taken someone on a journey in times past and my growing collection of teacups are my other treasures...reminds me of beautiful time to spend with others over the simple cup of tea :))Love Martine

vicki archer said...

Beautiful and interesting treasures Sue....My own great loves are always objects I have found on our travels...xv

Millie said...

How lovely to see all your treasures Susie! I think my greatest treasures are those I've inherited from my beloved Mum & Grannie. Mum's big jar of old buttons brings a smile each time I see it's lovely contents. The little blue duckie buttons from a cardigan I had as a toddler are a special favourite.
Millie x