Saturday, April 28, 2012

diy 'dipped' vases...


I am loving the dipped look that is being seen in furniture and other homewares at the moment and thought I would give it a go with some plain white vases and scratched bowls that I had lying around.
 


The first step is to wipe clean the vases/ bowls and ensure they are dry before starting.  I bought some enamel paints from my local hobby/craft shop which included an enamel surface conditioner as well as a clear gloss glaze for a top coat.


I taped around my vases for a clean edge and then applied the enamel surface conditioner with a dry brush.  When air dried, I painted the bottom section of my vases with the enamel paint and left to dry overnight.  Then I removed the tape carefully and voila!  I skipped the top coat but if you are planning on using your painted items in a microwave or oven this step is a necessity.  I didn't bother as mine are solely for decorating purposes.


I am really happy with the result and they look so pretty on my hall table grouped together - I am using the bowl for my keys. Now I just need to resist painting all my other white objects as this is seriously addictive! 

5 comments:

Westendpieces said...

Love them.

Samantha said...

Oh I love them, great idea, they look gorgeous.

Kellie Collis said...

These vases are gorgeous! Have a lovely weekend, Kellie xx

Kerstin said...

Beautiful! What an easy way to make personalised gifts for friends.

SILVIA said...

such a perfect style sweetie!!!!!
I <3 it!!!!
xoxo